- What are the minimum requirements to apply?
The minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for admission to the Full-time International MBA program are as follows:
- Can I defer my application?
The application is valid for the fall term of the specific year you are applying for. Students will have to reapply if they would like to start the following year.
- Do I have to take the GMAT/GRE?
A GMAT waiver at the discretion of the academic director is available for:
- Applicants with two years of demonstrative work experience and success in completing other academic programs
- Applicants who have an undergraduate business or related degree (economics, hospitality management, etc.) with an upper division grade point average (GPA) of 3.25, or higher
- Applicants without a business or related degree having an upper division grade GPA of 3.35, or higher
- If the applicant has already completed a graduate degree from an accredited university with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, or is entering a business master's program under a special agreement for admissions with specific foreign and domestic universities
- Which exam is better? Should I take the GMAT or the GRE?
We do not treat the exams differently, and applicants may elect to take either exam. You may visit www.mba.com for more information on the GMAT, including sample questions and information on test registration. You may visit www.ets.org/gre for more information on the GRE as well as test registration information.
- Are letters of recommendation required for the IMBA program?
Letter of recommendation are not required for the Full-time International MBA. However, if you are applying for a scholarship they would be required.
- What is the recommended format for the recommendation letter? Should it be in letterhead?
For the recommendation letters, we require the recommender’s company logo, signature, contact and information. We reserve the right to contact recommenders. Letters may be directed to us at:
Full-time International MBA
Florida International University
Chapman Graduate School of Business
11200 SW 8th Street, CBC 200
Miami, FL 33199
- Does the program require a writing sample or only an essay/personal statement? What do I write about?
The Full-time International MBA program requires an essay. You may choose one from the following:
- Describe a professional situation where you demonstrated one of the following leadership competencies: visionary, strategic, tactical, focused, persuasive, likable, decisive, ethical or inspirational
- Of FIU's core values [creativity, rigor, diversity, team, integrity, and global community], which value resonates most with you and why?
- Describe your academic and career interests, and explain how and why the Full-time International MBA program from FIU would help you explore them
- What happens if my GPA is below 3.0? Can I still apply?
We require a minimum 3.0 GPA, however if the applicant does not meet this criteria he or she can still apply. We have the ability to admit a limited number of individuals who do not meet the GPA requirement. The Admissions Committee will evaluate all the documents submitted (resume, working experience, letters of recommendation etc.) on a competitive basis to determine which individuals will be admitted under this provision. The committee takes into account myriad factors, including work experience and professional responsibilities, writing ability, strength of recommendations, undergraduate performance, exam scores and performance in any graduate-level courses.
- Is orientation mandatory?
Orientation is mandatory for the Full-time International MBA and it is held the week before classes start. An email is sent to the students by the beginning of August with location information, dates and times.
- Can I waive the TOEFL/IELTS?
Students may waive the TOEFL/IELTS exam only if they have earned a high school diploma, undergraduate or master's degree in a TOEFL-exempt country. Visit the UGS website to view TOEFL-exempt countries.
- Will the program provide feedback for students who have not been accepted?
Due to the large number of applications we receive each year, we cannot accommodate requests for personalized feedback on your application. Also, please understand that the decision of the Admissions Board is final, and we cannot advise you on whether or not you should reapply in the future.
- Is an applicant at a disadvantage without previous course work in business?
No. Many students in our program have not had business courses prior to entering the program. Generally, 50% of our class is made up of people with backgrounds outside of business. The program does require strong quantitative skills, but is designed to be accessible with study and dedication.
- Is the Full-time International MBA a cohort program?
Yes, our Full-time International MBA program uses the cohort model. The students in the program begin with the same group until graduation. The students benefit from sharing their learning experiences, and support each other through out the program.
- What is the difference between the Full-time International MBA and the Masters of International Business (MIB) programs?
The Full-time International MBA program
- Full-time, 12 months, day-time classes
- Highly ranked
- Study Abroad options
- Internship opportunities
- National MBA Career Fair
- Joint degree options with: MSF, MSIS, MIB, MSHRM, MSIRE, JD, MALACS, MACC
The MIB program
- In-person or online
- Full-time,12 months, two evenings per week
- Mandatory International Trip
- Mandatory Day Trip
- Master’s Project
- Dual Degree options
- Internship opportunities
- Joint degree options with MSF, MBA, MAIS, JD
Price / Financial Aid Assistance/ Scholarships
- Is the $21,139/$47,000 (out of state) cost for the entire program?
Yes, the cost of the entire program is $21,139 for in-state residents, and $47,000 for out-of-state residents and international students. This cost includes parking, professional development seminars, and tuition and fees. Please note the fees listed here are for the current academic year. All fees are subject to change.
- What are the first steps in the financial aid application process?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required of all U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to apply for federal student loans. To expedite the processing of federal loan applications, we recommend that you complete the FAFSA as early as possible. Please visit the Federal Student Aid homepage for more information on the FAFSA, or write to:
FAFSA Information Center
P.O. Box 84
Washington, DC 20044
- What types of financial aid are available from FIU as a US Citizen or Resident Alien?
Financial aid assistance is available for all students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents. The primary source of financial assistance will be in the form of Federal Direct Loans issued by the U.S. Federal Government. You will be offered a Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan and Direct Graduate Plus Loans. Due to the cost of your program, you may be required to borrow a Federal Graduate Plus which requires a credit approval. The College of Business also offers various scholarship opportunities that you can apply for online.
- Are international students eligible for financial aid?
International students are eligible for scholarships only. Financial aid is only available for US Citizens and Resident Aliens.
- What financial resources are available outside of FIU?
Opportunities for funding do exist outside FIU. Potential students should begin researching other sources of financial aid as early as possible.
- When is the tuition payment due?
Tuition is due at the beginning of each semester by the first day of class.
- Should the bank letter be original?
The bank letter must be original (printed in bank’s letterhead paper) with original signatures and either mailed or emailed. We will also accept a bank statement that shows that the account is either a checking or savings account. Please note that all bank statements will need to be less than 1 month old to be accepted.
- What is a DCF?
The DCF is the Declaration and Certification of Finances. This form must be completed and send to the Graduate Admissions Department.
- What documents do I need to submit if I am seeking an F-1 Visa?
The following documents are required for students seeking an F-1 Visa.
- Bank letter
- DCF form – Declaration and Certification of Finances form
- Copy of Passport
- Sponsor letter – if applicable
- If the student has a valid F-1 Visa, an F-1 Transfer form is required
- Upcoming Events
More information on upcoming events or to schedule a one-on-one phone call/meeting with one of our advisors.
Business Career Management Office
- What kind of services can I find in the Business Career Management office?
The Business Career Management Office offers the following services:
- Individual student advising
- Resume review
- Self-assessment tools
- Gain interviewing skills
- Career events