- What is the deadline to apply to the program?
The deadline to apply to the PhD program is February 15. This deadline means all admission documents should be on file. Any missing documents after the deadline will constitute that your application is not complete and this may delay the admission process.
- Can the $30 application fee be waived?
The application fee cannot be waived.
- Must I submit a Declaration Certificate of Finance (DCF) Document?
Every international student, irrespective of his/her country of origin and funding source must submit a DCF document to the University Graduate School certifying that the candidate will have sufficient funds to cover their expenses. Ensure you select the correct source of funding option from the checklist.
- What is the total cost of the program?
The program does not have an approximate cost, as students receive funding for the program either through a fellowship or an assistantship. However, students may calculate the approximate total cost based on the per credit fee University Graduate School provides for every academic year.
- Can the TOEFL exam be waived?
Yes, the exam may be waived if you have obtained a degree from a U.S institution or a TOEFL exempt country.
- Can the GMAT or GRE requirement be waived for years of professional experience?
The GMAT or GRE exam is an admission requirement that cannot be waived for having years of professional experience, as experience is not an admission requirement for the program.
- What does the College of Business assistantship cover?
The assistantship will provide a stipend and tuition waiver while students pay for other associated fees.
- For the bank letter and sponsor letter, do they have to be in English?
You may submit the letter in the original language but you must submit a translated English version.
- When can I apply for the College of Business Assistantship? Should I apply after admission?
There is no separate application needed to receive the CBA. Unless you are a recipient of the Presidential Fellowship or McKnight Fellowship, you will likely have funding through the College of Business Assistantship.
- Can I work while pursuing the PhD program?
Our students are not employed while pursuing the PhD program as students are completing their course work and eventually are teaching for the department.
- Should I retake the GMAT or GRE if my scores have expired?
Yes. If your score has expired because you took the exam more than five years prior, then you must retake either exam.
- Can I apply for more than one concentration?
No. You must decide on what concentration you would like to pursue by the time you submit your application. The system will not allow you to choose two concentrations or submit two applications.
- Can I be granted a conditional admission to the program and then take the GMAT or GRE once I am admitted?
No. The GMAT or GRE exam must be taken before being admitted to the program. All scores must be submitted with your application and before the application deadline. Our PhD Program does not grant conditional admission.
- How should I submit my transcripts?
If your post-secondary educational history includes coursework outside the United States, you MUST submit a course-by-course credential translation and evaluation, with grade point average (GPA) calculation included, for all non-U.S. coursework. FIU accepts evaluations/translations from any NACES member evaluation service.