- What kind of undergraduate degree must I have to qualify for this program?
FIU requires you to have a four-year bachelor degree from an accredited university.
- Do I include my certified transcripts with the application?
FIU requires that official transcripts are sent in directly by the college(s) or university (ies) you attend(ed). You cannot send in copies of these transcripts yourself.
If you are an alumnus (ae) of FIU, there is no need to have transcripts sent. If you attended a university outside the U.S. and the transcripts are not in English, they must be translated by a certified translator. The translation and an official copy of the transcripts must be submitted.
- Who is required to submit TOEFL?
Applicants whose native language is not English or who did not obtain a degree in the U.S. need to take the TOEFL test. They will need to score at least 550 on the paper-based, 213 on the computer-based, 80 on the internet-based test, or an equivalent score on a comparable examination. Please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl for more information. List of TOEFL exempt countries can be found on the following website: http://gradschool.fiu.edu/toefl-exempt-countries/.
- For how many years are my test scores valid?
GMAT scores - 5 years
GRE scores - 5 years
TOEFL scores - 2 years
Institutional TOEFL scores (FIU) - 1 year
- How many students are there in the classes?
The average number of students per class is 35-40.
- Is a thesis required in the program?
No, there is no required thesis.
- Can classes be waived if I took some MSIS classes in another university?
Classes taken in another university program will not be waived since this is an accelerated, lock-step program. Courses from other programs also are not transferable.
- Can I pursue two graduate degrees at the same time?
No. Unfortunately, you cannot pursue two degrees at the same time at FIU. However, the MSIS program has options for joint-degree with several of the MBA programs.
- Can I prolong the MSIS program for more than 14 months?
No, you cannot prolong the MSIS for more than 14 months. Since it is a lock-step program, you must remain with your class throughout the entire sequence until the program is concluded.
- Can I apply for financial aid?
Yes. You can apply for financial aid online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa or pick up an application at any high school, college or university. For specific information regarding financial aid or to find out the status of your application please contact the Chapman Financial Aid Manager at 305-348-0148 or email@example.com. The FIU's Financial Aid Office web site is located at https://onestop.fiu.edu/finances/. It is advisable that you begin the process as soon as possible.
- Are there any scholarships available?
Information about scholarships can be obtained from the following sources:
- College of Business - Master of Science in Information Systems Scholarships
- University Graduate School - http://gradschool.fiu.edu/students/funding/fellowships/
- Does FIU offer on-campus housing?
Yes. For more information on on-campus housing options please visit http://housing.fiu.edu/.
- Is this a STEM program?
Yes, the MSIS is a STEM program which means that students are eligible for the OPT extension.