Scholarship FAQs

  • Where can I get a scholarship application?

    Scholarship applications will now be handled through the FIU AcademicWorks Site. Please visit for more information.

  • What are the requirements to apply for a college scholarship?

    To be eligible to apply for a college scholarship, applicants must be seeking a degree in a major offered within the college. For most scholarships, undergraduates must be enrolled full-time (12 credit-hours or more) during the period for which they receive a scholarship. Financial need is a criterion for some scholarships, but it is not a requirement for application.

    Applicants need to submit a scholarship application, a current résumé, a recent transcript, at least one letter of recommendation, and an essay of no more than 300 words describing their career goals. For some scholarships, students also will have to demonstrate financial need by submitting a Student Aid Report (SAR) to the university's Financial Aid Office and will have to have completed or be enrolled in any of the ethics courses listed on the application.

  • What is the minimum GPA necessary to apply for a scholarship?

    There is no minimum GPA required to apply for a scholarship. However, most scholarships do specify a minimum GPA. Those with higher GPAs are more likely to receive awards than are those with lower GPAs. What constitutes a "high" GPA depends on the particular program and major in which applicants are enrolled. The average GPA of past award recipients is approximately a 3.5.

  • Does my transcript have to be "official"?

    Transcripts from outside the university must be official. If you are a current university student, you can submit a copy of your transcript available from the student records web page.

  • What is a résumé?

    A résumé is a document (usually one-page) detailing your academic and employment history, special skills, and honors and awards you have received. You usually will submit a copy of your résumé to an employer when applying for a job, and you will need to submit one with your scholarship application. Visit Career Services Center or for résumé-writing help.

  • Who should write my letter of recommendation?

    It is best to obtain a letter of recommendation from someone who can attest to your academic potential, such as a professor or advisor who knows you well. Letters from a current or former employer also are acceptable. You may submit more than one letter of recommendation if you desire to do so.

  • What is demonstrated financial need?

    "Financial need" is defined as the difference between the estimated cost of attending the university and your "Expected Family Contribution" (EFC). Your EFC is calculated using a formula established by the U.S. Congress and attempts to estimate the amount you and your family can reasonably be expected to contribute toward your educational expenses. The process takes into consideration the income, assets of the student and family (other than your primary residence), number of persons in the household, number in college, taxes paid, and other relevant factors.

  • What is a FAFSA?

    FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is a form that students complete and submit to the federal government. The FAFSA is used to apply for federal student financial aid, including grants, loans, and work-study. It also is used by most schools, including ours, to determine a student’s financial need. Once your submitted form is processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). This report will indicate your EFC. This amount, subtracted from the cost of attending the university, is your demonstrated financial need.

  • Do I need to complete a FAFSA?

    You should complete a FAFSA if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, even if you believe you will not qualify for aid (eligible non-citizens may be asked to submit INS Form FS-545 or DS-1350, an Alien Registration Card, or Form 1-94). The federal formula takes many circumstances into account, and you may be surprised at the results. Several, but not all, college scholarships require you to complete the FAFSA.

  • What is the deadline for completing a FAFSA?

    For college scholarships, you must have completed your form in time to receive the results by March 28, (so you should probably submit it in January).

  • Where can I obtain a FAFSA form?

    You can obtain a FAFSA form from the university's Financial Aid Office in PC 125 at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus or from the web at the FAFSA website.

  • Are all college scholarships awarded based on financial need?

    Some, but not all scholarships require demonstrated financial need.

  • Does the college offer assistantships or work-study programs?

    The college does not generally offer assistantships or work-study programs. However, departments within the college may occasionally have employment opportunities available for students. Contact the department for which you are interested in working to see if this is the case.

  • Does the college offer short-term tuition or emergency loans?

    The college does not offer short-term tuition or emergency loans. However, the university's Financial Aid Office does offer such assistance to qualified students.

  • I am a non-traditional student. Can I use these scholarship services?

    Absolutely! All the scholarships services can be used by all types of students: traditional, non-traditional, undergraduate, graduate, post doctorate, full-time, and part-time.

  • I am attending college. Do I need to include my SAT or ACT scores, or my high school codes?

    No, not for most scholarships. You must include them if you apply for the MPAS Scholars Awards.