Master of Science in Health Informatics & Management Systems
Upcoming Information Session
MS in Health Informatics and Management Systems Information Session at Miramar
Join us on Saturday, October 25 to to learn more about our Masters of Science in Information Systems program.
Date: October 25, 2014
Time: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: 1930 SW 145th Avenue - Room 424, Miramar, FL 33027.
MSHI&MS student wins scholarship.
"Stephanie represents the kind of students we have drawn to the program: intelligent, hardworking and with great potential,"
When she was looking online for graduate options in Florida related to her undergraduate degree in health information, she found the new Master of Science in Health Informatics and Management Systems (MSHI&MS) program in the College of Business at Florida International University (FIU), her alma mater.
Pool of IT Workers is Draining
The pool of capable IT workers is rapidly draining as providers, insurers, pharmaceutical companies and other health-related organizations compete for the same brain power, according to a new study by PricewaterhouseCoopers' Health Research Institute.
The study, "Solving the Talent Equation for Health IT" found that 67 percent of providers were experiencing IT staffing shortages and 55 percent said that staffing shortages would negatively impact their chance to receive meaningful use dollars.
Those findings mirror results from HIMSS' most recent leadership survey, which found that...
Commemorating a successful mid-program for our first MSHI&MS cohort
The MSHI&MS program commemorates the completion of the first half of its program on March 2nd in Brickell. Alongside the Faculty Director, Neera Bhansali, staff and current professors, the first cohort of the program enjoyed an afternoon cake cutting to honor their achievements and hard work. Through their commitment and diligence, we are glad to announce Cohort# 1 has reached the first half of the program.
Faculty member opens students’ eyes to opportunities in health IT.
Information about healthcare information turned out to greatly interest 79 students at Piper High School in Sunrise, Florida.
As a presenter in ITWomen’s Role Model Speakers Program, Neera Bhansali, a faculty member in the College of Business at Florida International University (FIU) and executive director, biomedical informatics, FIU’s Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, helped the high school students, mostly from the ninth and 10th grades, see the role information plays across many opportunities in the healthcare field.
Master of Science in Health Informatics & Management Systems
The Master of Science in Health Informatics and Management Systems (MSHI&MS) is designed for information systems professionals, healthcare managers, physicians, nurses and other clinicians, as well as healthcare support personnel who wish to increase their knowledge regarding the use of health information for improving quality, safety, outcomes and cost effectiveness of health care delivery.
The MSHI&MS program integrates information technology and management principles with health care delivery processes. Courses are designed to provide the student with the practical applications of the theories and concepts for improving the delivery of health care services and the effective use of organizations’ resources.
HSA 6197 Design & Management of Health Information Systems
HSA 6186 Leadership and Organizational Behavior in Health Care Systems
HIM 6019 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Health Care
HIM 6685 Electronic Health Records and Clinical Support Systems
ISM 6128 Business Process Design
ISM 6136 Business Intelligence Applications
ISM 6205 Database Management
ISM 6316 Project Management
ISM 6326 Information Security
HSA 6759 Quality Assessment and Outcomes in Health Care
HIM 6937 Special Topics in Health Informatics
ISM 6930 Special Topics in Information Systems
Professional Development Seminars
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in medical and health informatics is expected to increase by 18 percent through the year 2016. That’s faster than the average for all occupations in the United States. The MSHI&MS program provides the opportunity for healthcare professionals to obtain the necessary knowledge and skills in this growing field.
- Cohort-based – limited to 35 students.
- Fast track - complete the program in 14 months.
- Saturday only classes.
- Program starts in Spring (January 2015) at FIU Broward-Miramar Campus.
- Interact with world-class faculty and senior healthcare executives.
- Network with a diverse group of professionals—since this is a cohort-based, lock-step program, you will build strong relationships with your peers that will enrich you personally and professionally - long after you complete the program.
To apply for admission to the Chapman Graduate School of Business, applicants should submit the following to:
Chapman Graduate School of Business
Florida International University
11200 S.W. 8th Street, CBC 200
Miami, Florida 33199
- Graduate Application for Admission, along with nonrefundable application fee of $30.00 in US dollars.
- Official transcript(s) from all previously attended colleges and/or universities. Transcripts must be sent directly to the Chapman Graduate School Admissions by all formerly attended institution(s) in a sealed university envelope.
- Official proof of degree
A notarized copy of the original diploma is required if the degree is not posted on the official transcript(s).
- Meet one of the following options:
Have a minimum of four years of relevant professional experience either in Healthcare or Information Technology and have earned a minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) in undergraduate study.
Achieve a minimum score of 500 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or a score of 1000 (combination of verbal and quantitative) on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and have earned a minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) in undergraduate study. FIU university's code is: 5206.
New GRE scoring scale:
- Statement of purpose
There is not a minimum or maximum word or page count. The document should outline your professional goals and objectives in pursuing this graduate degree.
- Two professional letters of recommendation (optional but will strengthen/support your application).
- Proof of US residency/citizenship
- Florida Residency Form along with two proofs of ID confirming you maintained residence in Florida for the past 12 months: http://gradschool.fiu.edu/
International applicants and applicants who did not obtain a degree in the U.S. should submit all of the documents above and in addition, those listed below.
- If official transcript(s) is not in English, a second copy of the transcript must be requested from previously attended institution(s) for translation by an official translation agency. The official translation as well as the requested official copy of the transcript(s) must be submitted.
- Official TOEFL score (minimum score is 550 on the paper-based, 213 on the computer-based, or 80 on the internet based test) or official IELTS score (minimum score is 6.5). The official score must be sent directly by Educational Testing Service (ETS). FIU’s university code is: 5206.
- Submit a completed and signed Declaration of Finances (DCF) form. Please note that the minimum amount in the DCF must be at least $65,000 for 2015-2016 academic year.
- Bank letter has to reflect $65,000.
- Sponsor letter (if applicable).
****Only those applicants who have submitted complete application packets will be considered. Meeting the minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admissions.
The MSHI&MS program is accepting applications for Spring 2015. The deadline to submit an online application, supporting academic credentials and appropriate test scores is November 1, 2014. We encourage interested applicants to apply early because class size is limited to 35 students.
Tuition & Financial Aid
In-state tuition for the MSHI&MS program is $37,500 and out-of-state tuition is approximately $41,000.
All fees are subject to change.
For more information please visit our Financial Aid page.