We strive to bring useful career resources to FIU Business students, faculty, staff, and employers. If you have any questions regarding Handshake or careers, contact us.
Handshake for Employers
- How do I register for Handshake?
Handshake offers a thorough article describing how to register and get started. Make sure you select Florida International University as one of your schools. Once you’ve requested to connect with FIU, it can take up to three to five days to approve your account.
- How long does it take for my account to be approved in Handshake after I register?
Under normal circumstances, it typically takes three to five days to process pending employer approval requests. If your request has not been approved after seven days, please log into Handshake and check your messages for any comments on your registration. If the registration is incomplete, e.g., there is no website address or the email domain does not match your company, there can be a delay in approval, or your registration may be declined.
Handshake has an article on best practices for getting approved at schools.
If you have an urgent need to post a job or internship listing for FIU students, please contact us.
- I registered as a new user on behalf of my employer. How do I get approved?
The owner of your company profile will receive an email once you have registered and can approve you. If that person is no longer with the company, contact us for assistance.
- I joined the wrong organization. How do I fix this?
Read this Handshake article for assistance on how to switch to the correct organization.
Fairs, Interviews & Recruitment Plans
- How do I register for a career fair?
In Handshake, click “Fairs” on the left menu. To find upcoming FIU fairs, search for “FIU” in the keyword field. Click on the fair name, then the “Register” button on the next page.
- Where do I find my fair registrations?
In Handshake, click “Fairs” on the left menu and then select “Show Registered Only.” We recommend you click “Follow Career Fair” on fairs for which you’ve registered to receive updates and easily find them in the future.
- How do I request on-campus and/or virtual interview dates?
If you don’t see “Request an Interview” on your Handshake home page for FIU, and/or need assistance, contact us to request access to the service.
- How do I develop a recruitment plan at FIU Business?
There are many ways to recruit at FIU, and our team is available to tailor a strategy that works best for your company.
Our many virtual and in-person options include:
- Participating in a Career Fair
- Hosting an information session about your company
- Leading a workshop
- Meeting with student organizations
- Conducting interviews with targeted groups of students
- How do I advertise my information session or workshop on Handshake?
Once you have finalized all of the details, post an event on Handshake by going to “Create an Event” from your Handshake home page. If you do not see this option, contact us to request permission to “post events” on Handshake. You can also contact us to send a targeted email about your event to students in Handshake.
- How do I create a job posting?
- I created a job posting, but now I can't find it. Where should I look?
Once your account is approved, your internship(s) or job(s) will become visible to FIU Business students under Job Postings. You can view all your Business opportunities under Postings/Jobs/All.
- No one has applied to my job posting. What can I do?
We want to help you find the FIU Business talent you’re looking for.
Ensure you have a descriptive job title, e.g., “Customer Service Assistant,” instead of just “Assistant.” The job duties and qualifications should be clear and specific.
- Can I get more customized support reaching students with my job posting?
Yes! We are happy to help you promote your job to specific groups of FIU students by request. For help with Handshake and promoting your positions to our students, contact us.
Handshake for Faculty and Staff
- What are the benefits of inviting an employer to Handshake?
Our students’ professional success is a shared goal, and Handshake is FIU’s platform to connect students and alumni with employers.
Handshake can also link employers with FIU as a whole to meet employers’ recruiting needs company-wide, and it provides opportunities to engage our students through professional development workshops, virtual and on-campus interviews (post-COVID-19), and visits to targeted departments on campus.
- What happens after I invite an employer to Handshake?
When you welcome an employer to Handshake, that employer will start by creating an account. Within 48-72 business hours, their account will be approved, or FIU’s Career and Talent Development team will provide detailed feedback on how to gain approval. Once approved, employers are able to post jobs and internships and register for events with Career and Talent Development and the Business Career Team.
- How do I help an employer promote a job or internship?
Once an employer posts a position on Handshake, you can email your students a link to the job post.
The more students actively use Handshake, the more applicants employers will receive. You can assist employers by promoting Handshake to your students: Remind students to activate their Handshake account, upload their resume for approval, and complete their profile prior to their internship/job search.
- How can I find out if an employer posted a job and/or how many students applied?
You can contact us to verify if the employer is active and connected with FIU on Handshake and if they have any pending or active job posts. We can confirm the number of applicants once the job is closed.
- Why do students need an approved resume?
Students who present professional resumes to employers are more likely to successfully secure internships and employment and best represent the quality of FIU talent, thus attracting more employers.
- Add Handshake to your Canvas course navigation
- Go to Settings
- Click the “App” tab.
- Scroll to the “Redirect Tool” (it’s a big blue arrow going in a circle)
- Click “+Add App”
- Change the name from “Redirect Tool” to “Handshake”
- Paste the Handshake web address: fiu.joinhandshake.com/login?ref=app-domain (retain https://)
- Make sure all of the boxes are checked.
- Click “Add App”
- Make sure the App is enabled.
- Click the save button and refresh the page.
Career Training & Handshake Access
- Career Partners Training
In Career Partners Training you will learn how to maximize your impact on the future of our students.
Career Partners is a 2-hour training to equip FIU faculty and staff with the necessary tools to have meaningful conversations with students about their career development and planning. The Career Partners training covers Handshake, best practices for engaging employers, career developmental theories, assessment tools, and NACE guidelines.
- Handshake access for faculty & staff
As n FIU Business faculty or staff member, you can access Handshake by requesting a student account. This will allow you to view your students’ profiles and resumes and help your students find jobs and internships, including those posted by your employer partners.
- Ethical & legal standards
We all want to help students achieve professional success, however, occasionally, assisting students in their job searches can result in unanticipated illegal or unethical actions.