The KPMG Association of Latino Professionals in Finance & Accounting (ALPFA) Case Study Competition is an extremely popular event that presents accounting students with the challenge of resolving real-world accounting issues in a collegial and competitive environment. It provides students with the opportunity to work with KPMG advisors, better understand the demands and rewards of the accounting profession and network with finance and accounting professionals from across the United States. KPMG/ALPFA teams are assembled during the Fall semester for a chance to compete in the KPMG/ALPHA case competition during the following Summer.
How it works
The case studies used in the competition are based on realistic accounting, finance and business issues. Each competing team works together to identify issues and develop a research plan, develop a solution, and prepare a presentation regarding their case. The faculty advisor’s role is to provide guidance to the team, without supplying the correct answer.
At the Competition, each competing team will give a 20-minute presentation of their case and solutions to a panel of judges who act as senior management of the Audit Committee of a client. The panel of judges is comprised of KPMG partners, senior managers and ALPFA members who are accounting or finance professionals. The panel will raise questions and issues during a 10 to15 minutes Q&A session following the presentation.
At the conclusion of the presentations, the judges will select the top team that has best identified the relevant accounting and business issues and effectively presented their case and its solutions.
Who can compete?
Teams of four to five students and a faculty advisor. (Note: A professional advisor will be provided by KPMG once the teams are in place). Teams should be comprised of:
- approximately 80% Latino students
- approximately 80% Accounting majors with curriculum to support sitting for the CPA exam upon graduation
- one team member who is a non-accounting business major is permitted
- primarily, undergraduate students graduating in Spring/Summer of the competition year or later
- no more than one senior graduating in Spring or Summer of the competing academic year
- at least one sophomore
- actively enrolled students with a sustained minimum GPA of 3.2
- A unique opportunity to work one-on-one with KPMG advisors.
- Real-time understanding of the demands and rewards of the accounting profession.
- An opportunity to network with finance and accounting professionals from across the United States.
- The top two teams from each first round competition will compete at the KPMG/ALPFA National Case Study Competition finals.
- All expense paid trip to the ALPFA National Convention where both regional and national competition takes place.
To learn more about the KPMG/ALPFA case competition please contact:
Business expo for accounting, finance and MIS students grows in popularity.“So much better than ordinary career fairs” is how students Eddy Aiello and Yegor Nadvornyy enthusiastically describe the Ahead of the Game Accounting and Business Expo offered semi-annually at Florida International University (FIU). The spring ...
An on-target expo: top companies meet accounting, finance and MIS students.“Employers often tell us that some of their companies’ best performers are graduates of Florida International University (FIU),” said Dawn Lazar (MS ’06), assistant director, Career Management Services, School of Accounting. “Our Ahead of the ...
California convention offers development opportunities for ALPFA members.When over 2,000 people gathered for the 2011 ALPFA Annual Convention at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California in August, the chapter with the largest representation was Florida International University (FIU). Forty-five students from ALPFA at ...
Current and future accountants celebrate accomplishments.Almost 200 people, about half of them from area accounting firms and companies, enjoyed the festivities at the Second Annual School of Accounting Awards Banquet, held April 30, 2011 at the Doral Golf Resort & ...
Expo puts accounting, finance and MIS students “Ahead of the Game.”When planning a career event at a university, paying careful attention to the needs of visiting employers and of eager students leads to good results for everyone. That’s why the Ahead of the Game Accounting ...