Redesigned EMBA program starts with weeklong residency.
To re-launch its Executive MBA program, the College of Business at Florida International University (FIU) brought the 21 enrollees together for a full week’s immersion in teambuilding activities and a range of presentations covering innovation, leadership and public speaking skills.
EMBA in the News
Executive in Residence connects with Executive MBA students
For 20 Executive MBA (EMBA) students in the College of Business Administration at Florida International University (FIU), the chance to interact with global leaders is just one of the benefits of their program. But it’s a very important one. And when that global leader is Gustavo A. Cisneros, chairman, Cisneros Group of Companies—one of the largest privately held media, entertainment, telecommunications and consumer products organizations in the world—the insights gained by the group are impossible to quantify.
New organization meets, greets, offers programs.
In the short time since its first meeting in October 2010, the Chapman Executive Women’s Association (CEWA) has been building its membership and laying plans for offering public events on leadership.
"Our current primary membership target is graduates of either the Executive MBA (EMBA) or Professional MBA (PMBA) offered in the College of Business Administration at Florida International University," said Jacqueline Cabrera (EMBA ’10), senior business analyst, Florida Power & Light Co. and the organization’s president.
Global. Experience-Driven. Transformative.
The Executive MBA (EMBA) program at Florida International University is an elite program for seasoned professionals who have already achieved significant business success.
You will enter the program a proven leader and emerge as a visionary one, with the global perspective and leadership skills to take your career and your organization to the next level of growth and profitability.
Our interdisciplinary, experience-driven curriculum is organized around four key decision-making areas:
- Navigating in a global environment
- Building a high-performance organization
- Creating economic and social value
- Developing and implementing strategy
The 18-month EMBA program begins each January, and is designed for working professionals. Classes are held on alternating Saturdays at the Downtown on Brickell campus, in addition to online sessions.Participation is by nomination or invitation only. To intiate the process:
- Earn your EMBA in 18 months
- Convenient hybrid format with Saturday and online classes
- Cross-disciplinary curriculum with focus on team building, leadership and creative innovation
- Weeklong residency in China, Brazil, Russia, Turkey, South Africa or Italy through the EMBA Consortium for Global Business Innovation
- 360-degree leadership assessments with personal mentors and coaches
- Brickell Avenue campus in the heart of Miami’s financial and international District
- State-of-the-art environment with multi-media classroom, case study rooms and dedicated EMBA lounge.
- Expand your network and build connections with over 40,000 FIU Business alumni
- Career Services offers a range of support to enhance your career opportunities and expand your contacts
Our approach is a radical departure from traditional business school. Rather than teach subjects individually, we offer four interdisciplinary courses designed to help you sharpen leadership skills, cultivate nimble strategic skills, and develop your approach to creative innovation – all within a real world business context.
Leadership skills are gained through reflective analysis and exposure to:
- Community business leaders
- Case Study
- Business challenges and projects
Your EMBA experience begins with a teambuilding residency featuring a series of dynamic decision-making and problem-solving exercises. From there you will embark on a journey that will prepare you for the next stage of your professional career.
FIRST YEAR - beginning each January
- Accounting and Finance Foundations
- Teamwork, Leadership, and Personal Development
Leadership Seminar I
Leadership Seminar II
Leadership Seminar III
Leadership Seminar IV
Click here to view the Student Learning and Program Outcomes.
In the FIU EMBA program, you’ll join a diverse and dynamic cohort of working professionals from a wide range of industries. The relationships borne out of the FIU EMBA experiences are unlike any other – you will not only benefit from the critical perspectives of your peers as collaborators in the classroom, but also as professional colleagues, and likely, lifelong friends.EMBA Class Profile
- Average years of work experience – 17 years
- Average age - 41 years old
- Average salary - $152,000
- International students (born outside the U.S) - 48%
|Countries Represented||Industries Represented|
FIU’s Executive MBA is the only program in the Unites States selected for the EMBA Consortium for Global Business Innovation. This weeklong residency program is transformative, as you live and learn from different markets, teachers, colleagues, companies and cultures.
Participants select one of the following partner schools for their weeklong residency:
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - COPPEAD Graduate School of Business
- Moscow, Russia - Moscow International Higher Business School
- Chongqing, China - School of Economics and Business Administration, Chongqing University
- Istanbul, Turkey - School of Management, Sabanci University
- Cape Town, South Africa - University of Stellenbosch Business School
- Bologna, Italy - ALMA Graduate School, University of Bologna
Ready to Take the Next Step?
To be eligible for consideration to our Executive MBA program beginning in January of each year, you must:
- Have a minimum of eight years of work experience, five of which need to have been in a managerial role (managing people, budgets, projects).
- Meet the general university requirements for admission to a graduate degree program.
- Be in good standing with all previously-attended colleges and universities.
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Ideal candidates for the Executive MBA program are highly motivated individuals who want to accomplish even more than they already have. Only those applicants who have submitted complete application packets will be considered. Meeting the minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admissions.
Prospective students do not need to wait until they have all of the materials together to apply. Submit your online application now and the rest of the materials as you complete them.
To apply for the program:
- Please click here to initiate your graduate application. Select “Create a new user Account”
- Enter the program name Executive MBA in the online admission form.
- There is a non-refundable application fee of US$30.00.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and/or universities. Transcripts must be sent directly to:
FIU – Executive MBA
Florida International University
1101 Brickell Avenue
Miami, FL 33131
- If the official transcripts are not in English, a second copy of the transcript must be evaluated by an official translation agency and sent to our mailing address above. Visit the University Graduate School’s website for more information.
- Official proof of degree: A notarized copy of the original diploma is required if the degree is not posted on the official transcript
- Current Resume - detailing your chronological professional experience, and dates of earned degrees.
- Statement of Purpose - document of no more than two pages outlining your objectives for pursuing this graduate degree program
- Two Recommendation Letters from employers, faculty or professional associates
- Formal interview with Executive leadership, to be scheduled by admissions manager
- For those whose native language is not English, submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS.) Must have a minimum score of 213 on the computer-Based TOEFL (CBT), 550 on the paper-based TOEFL (PBT), or an 80 on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT). Applicants taking the IELTS must score a minimum of 6.53 overall. To obtain information about the TOEFL exam, please contact the English Language Institute 305-348-2222, or visit www.toefl.org. When requesting the official scores, please refer to the Florida International University Institution code 5206. To obtain more information about the IELTS, visit www.ielts.org.
- Please submit citizenship and immigration document to our offices as outlined below:
Type of Citizenship/Residency Status
Native-born U.S. Citizen
No residency documents required
Naturalized U.S. Citizen
Copy of passport
Lawful Permanent U.S. Resident
Copy of permanent resident card
Resident or Citizen of any other Country
This program meets the requirements for international student visa guidelines and can accommodate students who require an F-1 Visa. Additional documents are required. Please contact our office for details.
- Prospective students claiming Florida residency for the purposes of tuition must complete the Florida Residency form/Affidavit and submit appropriate supporting documents prior to an admissions decision. If you have not submitted valid and complete documentation prior to admission, you will be classified as out-of-state during the admissions process.
Prospective students claiming residency must submit two (2) forms of evidence to substantiate the Florida Residency form/Affidavit. Each form must not be expired, and must demonstrate one full year of Florida residency prior to the beginning of your intended first term.
Accepted documents include:
- Florida driver’s license
- Florida vehicle registration
- Florida vehicle title
- Florida voter registration card
- Declaration of domicile in Florida
- Proof of purchase of a permanent home in Florida
- Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years
- Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida (via employee letter)
- Benefit histories from Florida agencies or public assistance programs
If you do not have two of the listed items, please visit the FIU registrar's website to find alternate forms of accepted evidence: http://registrar.fiu.edu/index.php?id=86. Please contact the office of Graduate Admissions for any alternate documentation inquiries:
Modesto Maidique Campus
Office of Graduate Admissions
Location: PC 231
Fees & Financing
Tuition for our Executive MBA Program is $65,000 for Florida residents and $70,000 for non-residents and international* students. Students pay for courses at the beginning of each semester. All fees are subject to change. A $1,500 nonrefundable professional development fee is due upon acceptance into the program. The remaining balance is payable on a semester basis based on the University’s Academic Calendar deadlines. Those who leave the program receive no refunds. Tuition does not cover transportation, airfare, some meals or visa processing fees for the international residency.
For information on International Student financing & fee requirements, please click here .
GENERAL APPLICATION PROCEDURES
To receive financial assistance you must be fully admitted to an FIU degree program or be enrolled in a qualified certificate program.
To receive need-based assistance you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Completing the FAFSA correctly and submitting any requested document(s) by the annual priority deadline date, March 1st, increases your potential to receive the maximum financial aid for which you are eligible.
FIU's INSTITUTION CODE:
Calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) – EFC Calculator
The financial assistance offered through the University requires USA citizenship or permanent USA residency to qualify for any federal or state aid. Need-based federal and state assistance is not available to international or ineligible non-citizens.
Recipients of federal loans must meet the following criteria:
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Application for each academic year
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Be registered with Selective Service, if required;
- Admitted to a degree seeking program or an eligible certificate program;
- Be enrolled at least half time (6 credits/undergraduates-5 credits/graduates) when loan proceeds are received;
- Not be in default on a previous student loan or owe a repayment on a previous federal financial aid award received at any institution;
- Applicant can not have an adverse credit history (for Graduate Plus loans only).
Additional requirements may apply depending on the aid programs awarded to you.
Unsubsidized – a student does not have to demonstrate financial need to receive this loan. You may borrow the cost of attendance minus all financial aid awarded and based on your academic level (see chart below). Interest payments on this loan are not subsidized by the government. You can choose to pay the interest while you are enrolled fulltime or it can be accrued and added to the part of the principal of the loan that you owe. You begin repayment six months after you graduate or stop attending at least half-time.
Graduate Plus - Graduate students are now eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance. Students need to first apply with the Department of Education to initiate the loan application process; the terms and conditions applicable to Parent Plus Loans also apply to Graduate Plus Loans. All Graduate Plus Loans are awarded to all graduate students who meet the eligibility requirement upon receipt of your financial aid award letter for each academic year. This loan is a credit-worthiness loan which will require a credit history approval. Interest Payments on this loan are not subsidized by the government.
Graduate Need Grant - awards based on financial need which do not have to be repaid.
- To be eligible applicant must have an EFC between 0 – 7500
- Must complete FAFSA by March 1st priority deadline
- Must be enrolled for at least 9 credits per semester for disbursement (Fall & Spring)
For additional information on Financial Aid, please contact Melissa Hew via email at email@example.com or at 305-348-1299.